Friday, July 4, 2008

Iceberg Lake Hike, Attempt Number 1

Terry requested that I write an entry for our blog, and I don't think that she knows what she's getting into. I'm the person who writes 2 page morning announcements detailing the exploits of my school cross country team, so who knows how long my entries might be.
The three of us went on a hike today with the intention of ending up at a place called Iceberg lake. We didn't quite make it there, but we had a great time on the trail. Terry is going to attach a few photos, and I'll write a few comments about each one.
These first two pictures show off some of the scenic views that are around every corner on the hike to Iceberg Lake. We included these specifically to bring envy to the minds of my buddies who enjoy the outdoors. Gentlemen, you know who you are, and I hope you enjoy the pictures.
While Kyle hasn't vowed to get through the entire vacation without smiling(as he did when we crossed the country a few years ago), any picture with him in it will probably demonstrate the serious nature of the task at hand.

This photo illustrates my take on the famous expression "Stop and smell the roses." I stopped and took photos of flowers along our way, then would race to catch back up to Terry and Kyle. And you didn't think that I had such an appreciation for nature's beauty, did you?


This is another example of "Bear Grass". Thankfully, we didn't see any bears close up enough to take a picture. We did see a grizzly after we finished our hike, but it was high on a mountainside a long ways from us. At least Kyle can no longer say that the grizzlies are only a myth to attract tourists.
I guess that Terry included this picture to document that I actually went on the hike instead of staying behind at the parking lot asleep in the R.V.

Terry and Kyle are showing off the first snow that we found on the trail. While this certainly isn't one of the glaciers that gives the park its name, it was an indication that we had traveled a far piece from Maine. Further along the trail we had to hike through snow in several places.

We had hiked about 4 miles of our 5 mile journey into the lake when a ranger came from the other direction with news of severe thunderstorms with hail that were heading our way. We decided to cut our hike short and see the lake another day. As we hit the pavement of the parking lot the rain started to fall, so even though Gary would have made a different choice, I believe our decision was a good one. I know that Doug would understand.

Until next time,
Glen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great story so far...beautifull views and pictures!

Maybe Kyle could explain the sign on the snack cart... Grizzly alacarte?!

GG

Anonymous said...

Hey Kyle, watch out for the bears up there, they can often be mistaken for women!